Sunday, September 11, 2011

l a n g u a g e

h  a  l  l  o  !


So, I've officially been in the Netherlands for 2 1/2 weeks and guess what?! I'm still not fluent in dutch. Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect to become fluent in another language in 2 weeks. But since I am taking an intensive 2 week dutch course (every day for 5 hours a day we learn dutch) I thought I would at least be able to have a conversation without looking at the book for help. But the language is a lot harder than I thought, and Europeans teach language in a way that is both faster and harder than the way Americans teach a language. Be honest, how many of you have taken a language for 2 or more years but you only know a few words and are in no way close to being fluent? Here, everyone is fluent in at least 2 languages. Every dutch person I have spoken to knows English almost as well as you and I do. 


I wish no one here spoke English, that way I would feel more forced to learn the language and use it in everyday situations. The closest I get to use what little dutch knowledge I have is at the grocery store. And even then I have no idea if I am buying yogurt or milk (they both come in cartons). 


So, my advice to anyone who is actually reading this blog, if you decide to go to a country that speaks a language other than English, then get rossetta stone or something and at least try to know the language before you go there. It will make life easier, and maybe a bit more interesting. 


Until then,


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment