Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Personal Analysis on Short Story: Funambulist


I started this story with a very different idea for it then how it eventually turned out. It was first called Word of the Day. I wanted it to be seven short stories that each started with a word of the day that somehow tied into the story. I also wanted to connect all of the stories together through the last story.
            I really wanted to focus on using different points of view at first. I wanted each story to use a different point of view and a different implied author. I soon found that to be extremely difficult and by the time I got to the last story, I ran out of ideas. I was neck deep in writer’s block.
            I went through the first draft a few times, and even had a couple of friends read through it. Finally, I came to the decision that I needed to go about this in a completely different way. I needed to develop a plot and focus more on connecting the characters then on trying to find an ending for a story that possibly has no ending.
            During revision, I found that I didn’t want to go with my original idea of seven short stories, however I still wanted to distinguish different points of view through different stories. So, I settled for giving each character their own space. Basically, I kept the point of view, for the most part, the same, but I switched the focus from each character to give the overall story more internal point of view from the characters themselves.
            My next step in the revision process was actually coming up with a plot that I thought could fit with the idea I was heading in. I knew I wanted it to take place at this strange, almost unrealistic, circus, and I also knew that I wanted the main focus to be on the love connection of Xavier and Pandora. The Oblongs are important to the development of the story because without them these other characters can never come into contact.
            The last thing I really wanted to figure out was the ending. I seem to always have trouble ending my stories – perhaps there is some deep psychological reasoning behind it, but I doubt it. I wanted the main conflict to happen at the end so that the readers were left wondering, “What happens next?” If I could successfully get someone to say that they wanted to find out what’s happening next, then I know I have succeeded in my writing goal: to keep the reader reading!
            I would like to end this by commenting on my progress throughout the semester. I think my writing was stuck in the same place for a while and I was having trouble finding my own way as a writer. Through the various writing exercises we have done, and through the various techniques we have learned, I can confidently say that I am a better writer now than I was when the semester started. I think my final short story is something that I am proud to turn in, my only hope is that I can further develop my various other stories as the years roll on. 

1 comment:

  1. So what happened to Xavier? Did he live? Do he and Pandora become a couple? This was really a great story, I actually read it at work and didn't stop until I got to the end.

    ReplyDelete