Thursday, August 22, 2013

j o b s

Does anyone ever notice how awful searching for a job can be? I'm sure you notice but when did searching for a job become so... demoralizing? It seems that every job wants someone with at least 3-5 years experience. Understandable, but when your fresh out of college you don't have a whole lot of experience in the real world. Everything is theory when your in college. This is how the job world will treat you, this is what you need to do to get a job, this is what you need to learn in order to maintain a job in your field. Why does no one ever tell you the truth? Stick to one internship for at least a year whether its unpaid or not. No, for me, I was constantly told to play the field and look for several different types of jobs so I would better understand what I wanted to do.

Well for me it only took one internship to figure out what I wanted to, what I was good at. Copywriting. What could be better, I thought, than to be able to write creatively but still use the skills I learned in the English Literature major which were detail oriented, researching, writing, editing, creating, and basically doing every thing a successful person in the writing industry should do. So why can't we count those 4 years of college as our experience? Why do jobs assume that because you decided to take a job at a zoo so you could actually pay for things in lieu of taking an internship that didn't pay anything mean you are inept at performing any task they would wish to give you? Its crazy, but it is our world.

Now, a few months after graduating, I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have to do unpaid internships for the next few years, while working odd jobs so I don't rely on my parents for money, just so I can get a job that I actually love to do. I guess its worth it but I think jobs would benefit from actually taking a chance on graduates with little experience. Being fresh out of college means you have the ability to learn still, and the fact that you completed college should mean you can retain new information. And, it is a lot easier for someone of my age to learn something new in this ever changing world, then lets say, someone with 10 years experience but no experience with the new technology and media sites. Also, who is to say that some of these graduates don't have natural talent? What if they would do great at your company or even make it better but no one notices that because they have been working as a pizza delivery person instead of doing that internship with the local paper?

I guess all I am trying to say is that experience can sometimes be outweighed by actual talent and knowledge and love of a job in someone's field. So why not give those recent grads a chance? Or give this recent grad a chance... believe me, I am confident enough to say I wouldn't apply for the job if I didn't think I could handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment